Sunday 9 November 2014

Welsh Climbing Championships 2014 (Issy)

The Welsh Climbing Championships was held at Boulders, Cardiff, and I competed as a B for this event. The format for the competition was 3 qualifiers, a semi final and a final. Me and Catrin topped all 3 qualifiers, which meant we were in joint first place for the semi finals.
Our route looked technical but do-able. I climbed to the last section with no problems, but the last two holds were awful. I was pumped, and dynoed for the last hold. I touched the bottom of it but did not get it. Catrin also fell off the last move, meaning that we were still tied in first.
There were 5 of us in the final. Our route was a black, and I thought that it looked easier than the semis but there was still a tricky section at the top. I topped the route, along with everyone else in the final. This meant that Catrin and I had to do a superfinal. I climbed second, and the route was fine until a rock-over to a big sloper. I got a hand on the sloper and tried to match it, but missed the thumb catch. The sloper was so bad I couldn't hold on and I slipped off. Catrin had climbed a clip further than me, meaning that I was second.
I was also very proud of my brother, who convincingly won the youth D category!


Me on qualifier 3

On the podium

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts