Sunday 25 October 2015

BLCCs 2015 (Issy)

Qualifier 1
The BLCCs was held at Awesome Walls, Sheffield again this year, but this year I was competing in my first year of youth B, so I expected more challenging routes this year! Our first qualifier was technical and crimpy, but I climbed it easily and topped it along with 7 other people. Our second qualifier looked more challenging, as more people were falling off, particularly near the top as it was a long route, however I was one of 4 people to top this route also. I therefore qualified for the finals in joint 1st place.
Qualifier 2
Our final route looked much harder than our qualifiers- thankfully! It was overhanging and fairly powerful, with some poor slopers at the lip of the roof. When I came out to climb, I read through the sequence one last time. I climbed up most of the route easily, until I was approaching the roof section. My foot suddenly popped on a crimpy move- which was very unlike me! I cut loose on the crimps, and managed to get my feet back on, however I was very frustrated as this had sapped my energy. I made it onto the second sloper, and fell going for the first jug on the roof section. I was a little dissapointed, as I knew that if my foot hadn't popped I could have climbed further, however I thought my performance had been decent. When I had untied my knot, Pippa told me that I had the highest score! I couldn't believe it! But with three people left to climb, I was very nervous. Catrin, Abbie and Gwyneth all fell below me however, meaning that I had won! I was British Lead Climbing Champion for youth B, and so happy! I really enjoyed the competition, and the routes were great! Huge thanks to Awesome Walls and the BMC for organising such a fab competition!


On the podium!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts