Monday 1 September 2014

2nd Trip to Malham Cove August 2014 (Issy)

Walking to Malham
On the 30th and the 31st of August my brother and I climbed at Malham cove. On the first day of climbing the weather was cold and it  was raining, but the huge rock walls sheltered us so we could still climb! I warmed up on Rose Coronary before beginning to work on my new project Seventh Ardvark, 7b. I worked all the moves, and at the end of a long day of climbing I knew the route inside out, however I decided to wait until the next day for my redpoint attempt. My skin needed to recover! The seccond day of climbing was much warmer. I warmed up on Yosemite Wall, then top-roped Seventh Ardvark one last time to make sure I knew all the moves and remembered all the footholds. I was finally ready for my first redpoint attempt. The beginning two clips of the route were hard, however there was a nice rest on a huge undercut about halfway up the climb. I clipped the third and fourth quickdraws and tried not to think about the huge runout at the top of the climb. The route was 12 metres high with only four quickdraws! The last move was a scary rock-over off a gaston, but I made it, completing the route. I was very happy as this was the highest grade I had ever climbed outdoors! After the Seventh Aardvark I progressed to my newest project, Space Race, 7b+. I worked the moves and began linking the climb. I look forward to returning to Malham to continue to work on Space Race!
Warming up on Yosemite Wall
Working the moves on Seventh Aardvark, 7b

Me on Seventh Aardvark
Me completing Seventh Aardvark!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts